You’re wearing the perfect outfit and you’ve thought about the ideal caption for Instagram but you just know that there’s a good chance you will end up smiling awkwardly for the photo. Unfortunately, even after many years of practice, not everyone has perfected smiling for photos.
It is possible to look better in photos though.
1. Clench your teeth first. This is a great tip for guys who want their jawlines to look more defined. Just before you take a photo, clench your teeth slightly and give a smirk for a mysterious appearance that looks great in photos.
2. Smile with your eyes. Many celebs swear by this technique, so if you want to look like a model in your photos, laugh on the inside and let it spread to your eyes. You may need to try it a couple times in order for it to feel more natural but it’s highly effective.
3. Close your eyes just before a photo. This tactic will ensure you don’t squint your eyes and that your smile and expression look more natural. Basically, all you need to do is close your eyes a few seconds before the photo is taken. Slowly open them just before the shutter does its thing. Add a soft smile to your face as you slowly open your eyes and you should have a perfectly natural-looking smile in your photos.
4. Touch your tongue to the roof of your mouth. Instead of smiling with your teeth and only your teeth, let the muscles in your face and neck do all the work. To create a natural-looking smile, press your tongue to the roof of your mouth when you smile.
5. Smirk away. One last tactic that you can try is to purse your lips as if you were saying the word ‘prunes’ and let the corners of your mouth turn up slightly to smile – a smirk of sorts. It works really well for celebs and everyday Instagrammers.
Using these tactics might sound and feel weird at first but the more you practice, the more you can find a technique that works for you. Happy snapping!